Monday, October 24, 2011

Argument Analysis

When I first saw the list of articles I was to choose from for my argument analysis paper I thought, “man this is probably going be a list of boring ass articles that i’m gonna have to sit through and read three times in a row just to understand what the heck they are talking about.”  But one title caught my attention right away, The $78 Million Dollar Bag by Mick Dumke and Ben Joravsky, so much that I didn’t even bother reading the other articles, I clicked the link and closed the list off my computer.

Even though I didn’t know what the article was going to talk about, the title really caught my attention. At first I thought it probably had something to do with how banks are run or what kind of investments people get into to make money, but it was the farthest away from those two, it’s about Marijuana.  The article talks about how much government spending goes into enforcing anti-drug laws and if it’s even worth enforcing with the amount of money we are dumping to the cause. It states that Chicago alone has made 23,000 annual arrests just for marijuana possession and that opening a case would cost $2,500 to the tax payers. These numbers where incredibly shocking numbers to me as I never knew the amount of people that get caught with drug possession let alone how much it costs just to open a case against them. The article even states the amount of money that policemen make just for being witnesses at a case and that even though there is an amount of people that pay the posting bond, a greater amount doesn’t and that is costing tax payers even more money. These are very shocking information to people that are not involved with these acts or don’t have any knowledge of our justice system and the costs it has to us tax payers. These costs are getting so out of hand that officials themselves are advising McCarthy to stop arresting people for small possession of drugs as it is wasting time and money for the city.

Less enforcement for greater savings? I guess so.

No comments:

Post a Comment